Yamaha Custom Z Atelier Special Tenor Sax
The Yamaha Atelier Special line of instruments are limited production models that grow out of the day-to-day interaction between artists and Yamaha Atelier staff. This is where the instrument designers and Atelier technicians from Yamaha team up with renowned artists creating an in-depth research and development program aimed at creating something truly special! In this case, the Yamaha Custom Z Atelier Special Tenor Sax was created to give leading artists the elevated levels of musical expression and performance capability they need.
Giving full consideration even the finest details such as key layout and weight balance into consideration, the development team redesigned and refined the instrument part by part, eventually reaching an extremely high level of performance in the YTS-82ZASP. Have we perked your interest? Read on!
Atelier Special Custom Z Tenor Sax
2nd Generation Yamaha Custom Z
The platform that was used for this horn was the 2nd Generation Custom Z. These horns are known for being amazing instruments. Known for their reliability, impeccable intonation and exceptional build quality, it was the perfect platform to tweak in to something more!
The Custom Z Atelier tenor produces an absolutely HUGE tone, one more reminiscent of vintage saxophones while maintaining the modern improvements. This was accomplished using many small tweaks to the platform. They include:
- Lightweight C1 Neck – The C1 neck is known for quick, immediate response and more tonal focus. The light weight version improves on this instant attack.
- Heavy Weight Neck Screw – The light weight C1 gives great response and the extra mass from the special heavy neck screw helps to maintain a tonal core in the upper range of the sax.
- Seamless Domed Metal Resonators – For enhanced tonal projection.
- Single Post Right Hand Stack – While the body ribs remain in the left hand for tonal depth, the right hand was converted to a lighter weight single post construction to open up the tonal presence.
- Refined Bow – The bow’s solder seam is flattened out to increase inner bore size in the lower end of the horn and increase tonal presence. The top bow brace was also removed to decrease resistance and open up the sound.
The combination of these features lead to a Custom Z that produces the largest sound we have ever heard from a Yamaha tenor!
The Custom Z Atelier tenor also has several customizations to the ergonomics of the horn that are commonly performed for Yamaha’s leading artists. They include:
- Redesigned Left Hand Cluster -The G key touch specifically has been re-angled and the whole left hand feels more natural for the adult player’s hand.
- Hard Rubber Octave Thumb Rest – The thumb rest int he left hand is made from Hard Rubber and has a more rounded feel to it. This combination provides a great grip while still allowing for flexibility for the player who doesn’t want to be “locked in” to one spot.
- Re-positioned Strap Ring – moved further up and to the right, this gives better balance and feel for the player who prefers to have their horn more in front of them or while standing.
- Metal Right Hand Thumb Rest – the thumb rest has been switched to brass and the size of the plate has been decreased on the body.
Overall, this is the most comfortable Yamaha tenor we have ever held.
The Custom Z Atelier tenor sax was made available either with or without the high F# and in either an un-lacquered or “vintage bronze” finish. This particular horn is setup in the Un-Lacquered finish and without the high F#. Both of these options are designed to maximize vibration, response and performance. Plainly put, we feel that this is the best Yamaha tenor that has ever been made!
|Body Material||Yellow Brass|
|Body Construction||Hybrid Ribbed Body Construction|
|Country of Manufacture||Handmade in Japan|
|Neck||Custom C1, Lightweight with Heavy Neck Screw|
|Pads||Premium Leather with Seamless Domed Metal Resonators|
|Case||Custom Z Series Case|
Every horn we send out to a customer is not released from us unless it has been completely setup in our shop first. This is because the setup on the horn is of the utmost importance! Sometimes, a saxophone (regardless of who the manufacturer) comes in needing 20 minutes of adjustments and then the very next one can require 2 hours! So if you were to get 5 of the same model right out of the box, they will all play different. This leads players to believe that they are “good” or “bad” saxes. The reality is that the one that was the best out of the 5 was likely the one that needed the least amount of work and the “bad” sax was the one that needed 2 hours worth of adjustments!
Once the same 5 saxophones are properly regulated and adjusted to perfection, they become near identical saxophones. Even the pickiest of players would be challenged to pick a true “favorite” horn. However, since most stores do not or even can not perform this setup, the player never knows this and is simply relying on the luck of the draw. This is why we perform our setup (in our www.SaxophoneRepairs.com ProShop) on them before delivering your new sax to you. You trust us with your purchase and we want to make sure that you are rewarded by giving you your ideal saxophone setup flawlessly!