Yamaha 677 Professional Flute
Handmade in Japan – Straubinger Phoenix Pads
Yamaha professional flutes are amongst the most highly regarded in the industry. Known for their exceptional build quality, hand-cut headjoints and impeccable intonation, these flutes offer players with amazing performance regardless of their level. The Yamaha 677 Professional Flute (687 model for in-line G) is the latest generation of design featuring even more performance value than ever before in a 600 Series flute from Yamaha. These new models have been designed to provide Yamaha reliability and response but with a tonal depth and color that had not been available in previous Yamaha 600 series flutes.
Straubinger Phoenix Pads
Straubinger pads are used on the world’s highest end professional flutes. In 2009, Straubinger released the Phoenix pad. This pad was designed to provide a performance closer to their highest end professional pads but also be able to be used in a flute that was not $10,000+. These pads still require a higher end caliber of manufacturing as well as a more skilled technician to work on, but their use in the Yamaha 677 & 687 flutes has helped to drastically elevate their performance above the previous Yamaha 600 Series instruments that used traditional felt pads.
Kessler & Sons Music is also a Straubinger certified shop meaning that we know how to fully adjust the Yamaha 677 flute to it’s peak performance capabilities.
.43mm (.017″) Wall Tubing
Traditionally, most flutes in this range use a .016″ thickness for the tubing of the flute. Yamaha’s “standard” wall thickness has always been a bit lighter at .015″ (.38mm). With the Yamaha 677, Yamaha has opted for a slightly thicker .017″ (.43mm) “heavy wall” tubing to offer the flute a slightly richer tone. The Yamaha 677 flute is the first model in the Yamaha line that utilizes this tubing option.
Every flute we send out to a customer is not released from us unless it has been completely setup in our shop first. This is because the setup on the flute is of the utmost importance! Especially with the Straubinger Phoenix pad, the flute NEEDS to be absolutely perfectly dialed in to achieve its maximum performance potential. As a Straubinger certified shop, we know how to make the Yamaha 677 perform to its fullest potential.
|Headjoint||.017″ Solid Sterling Silver, Hand-Cut Type Am|
|Body||.017″ Solid Sterling Silver|
|Country of Manufacture||Handmade in Japan|
|Pads||Straubinger Phoenix Pads|
|Keys||Pointed Arm, Open Hole, Silver Plated|
|Foot||Low B (Low C optional)|
|Options||Off-Set or In-Line G
Split E Mechanism (off-set G only)
Gold Plated Lip Plate
C# Trill Key
We HIGHLY recommend the C# Trill Key option on the Yamaha 677 flutes. A flute with C# trill key can do several unique things that you cannot do without it. Here is a list of the most common:
- B to C# in the First and Second Octaves: By providing the C# with a full-sized tone hole, the intonation is better. Additionally, the two-finger trill is avoided.
- C to C# in the First and Second Octaves: Moved from the first finger left hand to the first finger right hand, the trill is generally faster and better in tune.
- High G to A in the Third Octave: Perhaps the better name for the C# trill key would be the High G to A trill key. Finger high G and trill the C# trill and the upper trill key. An otherwise awkward, treacherous, and too-common trill is made easy.
- High G to Ab: Better in tune and much more comfortable.
- High F# to G#: Finger high F# and trill the C# Trill Key. Much easier than the conventional fingering.
- High Ab to Bb: A Mahler favorite. Finger the high Ab and trill both trill keys and the C# Trill Key.
- Tremolos and Shakes: All the first octave, left-hand notes can be tremoloed with C# by just using the C# Trill Key. The same notes can be tremoloed with D natural by using the C# Trill Key and the upper trill key together.
- Pianissimo high Ab: Play second octave Ab with all the left hand keys depressed, add the C# Trill and the high Ab will appear softly and in tune.
18 Month, 0% Interest Financing!
Purchase your new Yamaha 677 Flute from Kessler & Sons using First Mutual Finance and receive special 18 Month, 0% Interest Financing!
Click Here for more information on financing program details and to apply!
18 Month, 0% Financing Option Available on New Instrument at Advertised New Price Only. Full details on financing page.
Does not apply towards Store Used Demos or Used Instruments. Demos and Used models can still be financed under standard terms.